A little history
Pulley Bell Tower was a gift to Miami University from William Pulley in tribute to his father, Verlin Pulley, for his devotion to his family, university, and community. Verlin Pulley was an 1925 Miami Alumnus and was a member of the Miami Board of Trustees. Pulley Tower was constructed in the fall of 2001 by the Verdin Company. The tower's control systems were developed in the 1990's and based on aging technology. Since its installation, there have been numerous redesigns by Verdin, and we are now several generations behind.
Not many people realize that the tower can be played live via this piano inside the tower. In fact, Dr. Runyon is the bell tower's current carillonneur and plays the bells most Sunday afternoons. For each song that is played, Dr. Runyon had to learn and record it into the tower's memory chips.